Anyone else remember this??
Thursday night, a battle played out between me and a host of random ingredients. I declared myself the winner after I yet again wished I had leftovers. The basic premise was the same as the other night of my success…sauté a bunch of things together and hope for the best.
- Olive oil
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1.5 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 clovers garlic
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp honey
- Juice from ½ lime
- Smoked chipotle powder, to taste
- Cayenne Pepper, to taste
- Caramelize the red onions (I know, I’m obsessed).
- Remove onions from pan, add the garlic and a touch more olive oil
- When garlic is fragrant, add cabbage and sauté until it starts to soften.
- Add carrot and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add chickpeas, tomato paste and honey. Use water to thin. Stir everything together.
- Season with smoked chipotle powder and cayenne pepper.
- Turn heat to medium low and simmer/sauté until heated through.
- Add in red onions and stir together. Squeeze lime over everything.
We topped ours with leftover quinoa corn muffins. This would be delicious topped with tortilla chips and avocado, maybe a bit of cheddar cheese. You could sub black beans for the chickpeas. I think it would make great taco filling.
I stole our roommate’s awesome dishes to take photos. Aren’t they cute?! Using them made me want to go out and buy unnecessary dishes just for photos. Since I’m not Kath or Tina or Jenna or Caitlin or Angela, it’s probably not necessary, but a girl can dream!
For dessert I was going to make hot chocolate with our homemade almond milk, and that didn’t go so well (something weird happened and it looked all curdl-y but I think it was just almond solid remnants?!) So then we used the last of some yogurt, a dollop of peanut butter, a handful of chocolate chips and a sprinkle of cinnamon and called it dessert. Even though it seems like a weird combo, and it kind of is, it was still delicious and felt relatively indulgent even though it was pretty healthy!
After dinner, it was off to bed for me! I have been so good about going to bed early this week (I get up really early and want to be rested for the race on Sunday). I will be so glad when the race is over and I can stay up until 10 or 10:30 again – I’ll have so much more time to get things done.