Holy crap, we’re over halfway done with the year. Is anyone else a little shocked that we’re in the 8th month of the year already?
I thought it might be a good time to check in on my goals that I set for 2012. In reviewing the list, what I’ve seen is that I really need to be better about tracking things. I need to reflect, in writing, even if it’s brief, on the books that I read and the creative projects I take on and the yoga classes I go to. Reflecting helps keep me present.
When I haven’t written here for awhile, I realize I’m avoiding the blog because it feels like I have nothing to say that’s useful. But at the moment, I’m reading “The Happiness Project” which is essentially a huge book of reflections (backed up by lots of research) on Gretchen Rubin trying to be happier. And it’s fascinating and inspiring. So maybe I don’t have to come here with a strict plan every time. Maybe I just need to make some space to share my thoughts on the goings on in my life.
1. Complete an elimination diet to figure out if anything in particular is causing constant nasal congestion and fatigue. Note: This is not a “diet” strategy or a long term eating goal. I just want to figure out what the heck is making it impossible to breathe through my nose.
– Uh yeah, this hasn’t happened. It seems like something always comes up – like the need for a slice of pie or really good sourdough bread.
2. Organize the hidden spaces in our house (drawers, cabinets, closets)
– Slowly but surely we are working on this! Alex fixed a cabinet this weekend that has been broken for 2 years. And I cleaned out my closet.
3. Allot time weekly for a creative activity – writing, drawing, crafting, photography
-Some weeks are better than others. Last week I took a Paper Source class and made a set of stationary and I was reminded about how much I love to craft. Good thing I have a wedding coming up.
4. Take a nonfiction writing class
5. Cut down expenses by $150/month
– I have been able to save and afford everything I need. I originally set this goal with the interest of using the savings for a yoga pass, but the yoga pass fell through the cracks so now it’s going to our wedding fund.
6. Run a sub-2 hour half-marathon
– Training for this officially starts today!
7. Conduct brainstorming session for blog and create editorial calendar for posting twice a week
– Obviously this still needs to happen
8. Attend yoga class twice a week
– Sadly, no. I’ve been going sort of consistently once a week. I need to make it a priority.
9. Invest in non-overhead lighting for our living room and bedroom
– Still needs to happen.
10. Maintain daily gratitude journal – writing down something nightly before bed that I am grateful for
11. Read two books per month (not sure if this is realistic, but aim high!)
– Doing well!
12. Aim for 7 hours of sleep per night and slow down for at least 15 minutes before bed
– I have been much better about winding down for 15 minutes before bed. On the nights we watch TV, I resist the urge to watch one more episode and instead take the time to read or stretch a bit before going to sleep. And on the majority of nights, I am hitting close to 7 hours. And I’ve even had a few weekends where I have slept for 9 – which is unheard of for me!
There are 5 months left in the year. Maybe that deadline will help push me to achieve the rest of my goals before the ned of the year!