It was my birthday yesterday. I spent it hiking, wine tasting, and camping with some of my favorite people in the whole world.
Today, I spent some time reflecting on what I’ve learned over the past 25 years and came up with the list below.
And, of course because it’s my birthday, I made a home-made It’s It ice cream sandwich that happened to be vegan and wheat free since I used what I had in the house. “Recipe” and assembly instructions at the end.
25 things I’ve Learned in 25 Years
- Cats make every day brighter.
- Chocolate and peanut butter are vital food groups.
- I cannot bake a loaf of bread to save my life.
- You don’t actually need all of your toenails.
- I’ve never met a farmers’ market I didn’t like.
- Blogging is harder than I thought it would be.
- Most things can be made from scratch. (See above.)
- I’d rather meet a celebrity chef than a movie star.
- The Internet can bae a wonderful and dangerous thing.
- Sometimes the sweetest moments are the silliest ones.
- Eating emotionally isn’t always such a bad thing. Dessert can bring a lot of comfort. (See homemade It’s It recipe below…)
- What’s “cool” is very subjective.
- The most rewarding way to get a Christmas tree is to cut it down, haul it up a hill, and strap it to the top of the car.
- This too shall pass. It’s never as bad as you think.
- My level of serenity is inversely proportional to my level of expectation.
- Sometimes it takes a long time to figure things out, with many detours along the way.
- I love to dance.
- Velveeta makes the best nachos.
- It can feel just as good to take care of someone else as it does to be taken care of.
- Always ask for help if you need it, and even sometimes when you think you don’t.
- I really like waking up before the sun comes up and going to bed early.
- Wear layers.
- Stay present and mindful: the story playing in my head is never 100% accurate and it prevents me from listening.
- Not everyone communicates love, friendship, and support in the same way as I do. This does not mean they don’t love me.
- A good knife makes all the difference in the kitchen.
To make/assemble your at home vegan/wheat free homemade It’s It ice cream sandwich:
- Make these oatmeal cookies from Oh She Glows. I used buckwheat flour instead of kamut because it’s what I had on hand. If you use buckwheat and gluten-free oats these will be Celiac-friendly.
- Make this homemade magic shell fudge from thishomemadelife.
- Make or buy some coconut milk ice cream.
Sandwich a scoop of the ice cream between the cookies. Dip in the magic shell sauce. Flip and cover other side. Freeze for one hour.