I finally went to the grocery store last Friday after a week of having not gone and it was awesome – it was exciting to replenish our nut stashes and have a meal plan for the week again.
But I do have one more recipe(ish) to share with you from the “use what’s in my fridge challenge.”
When I first went veg, I made these pan seared green beans all the time. Because they are delicious and spicy and quick to make.
For this recipe, I used that same technique, except with broccoli, and tossed it with pasta, a little more olive oil, and topped with chopped, toasted almonds.
Seared Broccoli Pasta Deliciousness (the name of my iPhoto event)
Adapted from Vegetarian Times
- 2 cups broccoli crowns, chopped
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1.5 cups dry brown rice pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons almonds, toasted and chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat large pan over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the oil and turn heat up for 30 seconds. Add broccoli and cook 3 – 4 minutes, until broccoli is beginning to brown.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add cooked pasta and stir to combine. Cook until heated through.
- Remove from heat, toss with olive oil and top with almonds.
Tasty, satisfying, and comforting, which I felt like I was really needing last week.
Alex and I celebrated our 7 year anniversary by redecorating our bedroom – so my workouts for the weekend included several hours of painting and lots of shopping (hey walking and carrying bags counts as a workout, right?!)
It’s not quite done yet but I hope to post “almost done” sometime this week!