So despite being overwhelmed, I did manage to mostly finish the last two weeks of the Nerd Fitness Dumbbell Division plan. My last two weeks probably weren’t as strong as my first four, simply because I wasn’t as focused and I wasn’t as diligent about my nutrition. Here are my major takeaways:
- Nutrition/sleep are vital components of consistent heavy lifting. On the days were I hadn’t eaten enough or hadn’t slept enough, I didn’t do nearly as well. Similarly, drinking water while doing my workout
- I don’t like lifting heavy three days per week. Because lifting isn’t my only form of activity (and there are pros and cons to that), it’s just too much.
- Simplicity in a lifting plan is really nice (and occasionally boring). On the whole, I liked it because I didn’t have to think about it, but there were a few times that it got a little old.
- Simplicity does get results. I admit to being skeptical that a few exercises were going to make me stronger, but I definitely saw progress!
What’re my next steps?
- I’m going to go back to heavy lifts twice per week, and experimenting with fun bodyweight exercises once a week.
- I like following a plan so I’m going to attempt the barbell plan from Nerd Fitness. I did single rep sets today at the gym and pretty much felt like a badass!
- I want to get and read Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe which has been recommended several times to me.
- I won’t blog about it here weekly, but I’ll be talking about it in terms of my general fitness goals.
Thanks for following along! I’m also getting more into training for this ten mile race we are doing in April, so I’m sure I’ll be posting more about running as well!