While we were on the road to Seattle, we stopped at Blossoming Lotus in Portland for lunch and had a vegan Brie and fig sandwich that was out of this world. I knew I had to recreate it at home. I’ve made it with both raw red onions and cooked, and both versions are good. The raw red onions add a bit of crunch, but I enjoy the sweetness and texture of the caramelized onions just a touch more.
As far as mustards go, I used a porter based stoneground in combination with a three pepper mustard that was on the sweeter and spicier side, and it really hit the spot. Use your favorite or try some combinations.
I used vegan cheese because they were giving samples of it at the grocery store, and the Blossoming Lotus version was vegan. That said, I have no doubt this would be tasty with actual Brie as well if that’s your thing! It’s a messy sandwich to eat, that’s for sure, but man it’s delicious!
Vegan Fig and Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 half red onion, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- 2 ciabatta rolls or a loaf of ciabatta cut into 2 sandwich size pieces
- 4 tablespoons vegan cheese (I used the Parmela brand)
- 6 – 8 slices of tempeh bacon
- 4 tablespoons mustard of choice
- 6 figs or 4 tablespoons fig jam
- Handful of arugula
- Heat oil in small frying pan over medium high heat. Add red onions and salt. When onions begin to soften, turn heat down and leave them alone, allowing them to brown and caramelize.
- While the onions cook, spread each half of ciabatta with 1 tablespoon mustard and 1 tablespoon of vegan cheese. If using fig jam, spread that on as well.
- Add a layer of tempeh bacon, figs, and onions when they are done caramelizing. Top with arugula.
- Use a panini press or a cast iron pan on top of your sandwich in the oven to toast the sandwich.
- Slice and enjoy!